Wheatgrass is the fresh shoots of the wheat plant harvested before the grain sprouts. Although unusual, it is a common meal component for cats. Wheatgrass is rich in protein, carotene, and vitamins A, E, and C, making it an added source of nutrition for cats. Cats often nibble on wheatgrass and leafy greens to improve their digestion as fibres present in these plants aid in smoother bowel movement. However, it is important to ensure that your cat only feeds on organic and pesticide-free wheatgrass.
Is cat wheatgrass suitable for all cats?
Generally, all cats that are not allergic to wheatgrass can easily digest and benefit from its nutritional value of it. Wheatgrass for cats is a good source of vitamins, protein, and other essential nutrients. The fibre and selenium help in improving the cat’s gut health. However, you should identify if your kitty is allergic to wheatgrass before letting it nibble on wheatgrass. The following are some signs that will help you identify if your cat is allergic to wheatgrass:
- Excessive drooling
- Crusty papules
Even if your cat is not allergic to wheatgrass, you must limit its consumption to less than 10% of its total caloric consumption. Wheat for cats is best served every alternate day instead of daily.
The benefits of wheatgrass for cats
While everyone knows wheatgrass for cats is beneficial for digestion, there are various other benefits of wheatgrass as well. The following are some of the many benefits of wheatgrass for cats:
- Weight loss: Cats are inherently carnivorous animals who hunt their prey in the wild. However, domesticated cats have no need to hunt which has led to a drastic increase in their weight. Snacking on wheatgrass while changing the cat’s diet helps in managing their weight better.
- Better immunity: One of the many benefits of wheatgrass for cats lies in its nutritional value. The amount of minerals, vitamins, fibre, and protein present in wheatgrass positively impacts the cat’s immunity system.
- Oral health: Cat wheatgrass is a healthier snacking option that cats can nibble on without damaging their teeth. Regular snacks can lead to tooth decaying of the kitty’s tooth. Switching to wheat snacks and wheatgrass can improve their dental and oral health as it is organic and healthier.
- Antiaging: Chlorophyll present in wheatgrass is known for being a blood booster. This component present in the wheatgrass works as an antiaging component. Consuming wheatgrass helps increase potent blood and makes your cat look and feel younger.
- Healthy kidney: Cats rely more on wheat, wheatgrass, and a greener diet when dealing with digestive and gastrointestinal issues. If you notice your cat munching on wheatgrass for cats then they might be dealing with some gut, digestive, or kidney-related issues. Hence, providing snacks such as wheat for cats helps you identify if your kitty needs a veterinarian’s appointment at the earliest for diagnosing their gastrointestinal and kidney health.
- Improved vision: Cat wheatgrass contains vitamins A, E, and C. Vitamin A is closely associated with improving vision. Therefore, munching on cat wheatgrass can improve your cat’s vision.
Disadvantages of wheatgrass for cats
While there are many advantages of wheatgrass and wheat for cats, there are a few considerations and disadvantages as well. Some of the demerits of excessive munching on wheatgrass for cats are as follows:
- Cats are carnivorous animals. Snacking on wheatgrass and wheat more than usual can cause harm to their overall health.
- Consuming too much wheatgrass can lead to diarrhoea and vomiting. Please consult a veterinarian doctor at the earliest if you notice your kitty excessively vomiting or pooping.
Cat grass vs wheatgrass
Most cat parents have a hard time differentiating between cat grass and wheatgrass. If you are one of them, fret not. We will understand the difference between the two in this section.
Cat food brands often market wheatgrass as cat grass. However, you must note that cat grass can be any grass, from barley and oats to wheatgrass and fescue. So, if you see a pack of cat food that says cat grass, check its label. Moreover, ensure that you opt for brands that use organic ingredients.
Now that you know of the benefits of wheatgrass for cats, you can start adding the regulated amount of wheatgrass to their diet. Please consult a veterinarian before deciding to serve wheat or wheatgrass to your feline friend.
Frequently asked questions
- Why is my cat obsessed with wheatgrass?
- Can cats eat whole wheat?
- How much wheatgrass can a cat eat?
- Is wheatgrass good for indoor cats?
- Is wheatgrass and cat grass the same?
If your cat has been munching on wheatgrass or grass more than usual, it might be facing some gastrointestinal issues. It is best to consult a veterinarian to ensure their physical well-being.
Yes, cats can digest baked or cooked wheat products and wheat bran.
Total consumption of wheatgrass for cats should limit to 10% or lesser of their total caloric diet.
Yes, wheatgrass improves indoor cats’ vision, immunity, and oral as well as gastrointestinal health, and helps keep their weight in check.
Cat grass are cereal grasses that cats much on. Wheatgrass is a type of cat grass.